Followers

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

One Layer Little Artist.....

Hello everyone: I struggled a bit with this card, mainly because I really wanted to follow the House of Cards August Challenge that has a beautiful color palate and also, the One Layer Simplicity Challenge #30 August Art. There are 3 ways to participate in this challenge, I chose making a card with an art theme and an art related sentiment and the other one is my favorite, using water colors plus pencils, here is my card.

This image is from Stamping Bella and it's called Abigail the Artist, I adore the Up Town Girl collection, all of this images are truly sweet.
I stamped her onto a folded piece of Canson water color paper measuring 3 7/8"x10 1/4", with Stazon Jet Black ink and colored it with SU markers, trying to follow the color chart from the House of Cards best I could.
Here is a picture of the finished inside of my card, I masked everything around the cans of paint to be able to ink them up with the Basic Gray SU marker and stamp them.
The sentiment is from the same set, I just snipped the top part to be able to fit it next to my image.


Ok now, I'm going to do a bit of bragging here, please bare with me.

My 18 year old artist granddaughter Vanessa won the 2016 Congressional Art Competition with a piece sketched by her and done in water colors entitled "Indiana's Treasures", she painted the Cardinal, our State's bird and a Peony, our State's flower. Here is a picture from our local newspaper, the Windfield News.


I hope you can read what it says. Vanessa's painting is on display in the Capitol Building in Washington, DC. and will be there until June of next year so, if you live in the area, I hope you go and see her painting among hundreds of others from all of the High Schools in the USA.
We are beyond proud of her and all she accomplished during her High School years, belonging to the Symphony and Chamber Orchestras playing the Viola, which she has been playing since she was in 5th. grade.  She also belonged to the Swim and Track teams, it was absolutely thrilling to go cheer her up at her meets, she said I inspired her to become a great swimmer and runner and, at her last concert a couple of months ago, when they called all of the kids who were graduating this year, when she got to the microphone to say a few words, she said that she was grateful to her family and that she will do an Iron Man Triathlon just like her grandma one day. I just about exploded in tears of joy. 
So thank you for reading and for visiting my blog, until next time, happy stamping.
Hugs from Maria.

The House of Cards color chart.




14 comments:

Patti Willey said...

Oh I need a tissue! Oh tears of joy Maria celebrating with you! I know you've been an incredible inspiration to Vanessa and all of your Grandchildren! You are such a driven person and this little girl growing up fast has many accomplishments up her sleeve. Way to go Vanessa!!

Mary Fish said...

She is beyond sweet. Love the colors!

Lisa said...

Congratulations Vanessa! What an honor! You are a very beautiful young woman with many talents. I know you're Grandmother is very proud. Maria is card is so darn adorable!

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you Patti, my little Vanessa has grown up before my very eyes and we are all thrilled she is on her way to accomplish many more wonderful things.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you Mary, she is indeed so sweet.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you Lisa, I'll be sure to show Vanessa this post, she will get a bit embarrassed, she is kind of shy when it comes to her work but winning this award needs to be recognized, we are all so proud of her.
This image is how I see her, she is always painting something.

Debbie Mageed said...

That is so fantastic! But then apples never do fall far from the tree and you are incredibly talented. Congrats to you all!!

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you Debbie, this was such an incredible experience for Vanessa and for us as well, we are so proud of her.
Thank you also, for the sweet compliment, I'm overwhelmed by her talent.

Susan Raihala said...

Maria, the coloring on this is simply FABULOUS!!! LOVE how you integrated all three of the options for the challenge. Brilliant design, adorable subject, great card!

And congratulations to your daughter. What a stunning accomplishment for a young woman!

Jasleen Kaur said...

Gorgeous colouring, Maria !
Jasleen xx

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you Susan, water coloring is one of my favorite ways to color my cards.
And we are so proud of Vanessa, she is a true artist, I can't wait to go to Washington, DC. to see her painting in person.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you Jasleen, so glad you stopped by.

Michele K. Henderson said...

Gorgeous! I love this terrific color!
Thanks for playing along with us at House of Cards!
Take Care!
Michele, HOC

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you for stopping by, Michelle. I really enjoyed playing with the color combination of this challenge.