Followers

Monday, November 23, 2015

Seize the Birthday with Vellum.....

Hello everyone: I don't know about you but, I love Vellum. It can be tricky to work with, if you are not careful, you can burn it while heat embossing it, it warps a bit if you apply markers or a bit of water color, it's hard to conceal the glue, sticky strips, glue dots and it can tear very easily when you try to dry emboss it. But, if you can avoid all of this pitfalls, it's a wonderful and beautiful product to work with, it gives your cards a very soft and elegant look.
This week over at Seize the Birthday they have a new challenge, this time you must use Vellum or Acetate on your birthday card, I chose Vellum, I'm also linking this card to the AAA Cards #53 "Anythig Goes" challenge, here is my card.
Some time ago I bought THIS starter kit, I've seen several amazing cards on Pinterest using Vellum or Parchment and I wanted to try it. This kit comes with everything you need to get a taste of this beautiful way of embossing on Vellum.
This design is one of the 7 that come in the instruction booklet, the only difference is that, instead of embossing the sentiment, I stamped it with SU white craft ink and carefully heat emboss it with clear embossing powder, the rest of the design is traced with the white gel pen that comes with the kit and, using the stylus, I carefully embossed it from the back, with a flipping motion, just like when you do a check mark. I colored the leaves with SU Certainly Celery but the flowers were left white, their pink hue is from the piece of soft pink card stock in the back.
The little bow is from my stash and I placed it on one of the beautiful, SU Very Vintage Designer Buttons with a glue dot, the piece of retired pattern paper is from Stampin Up! but I don't remember which collection it belongs to.
Here are the banners that inspired this card.
 
Thank you so much for stopping by, until next time, happy stamping.
Hugs from Maria.

18 comments:

Sonny said...

This vellum technique is very pretty . I have not seen it before .
Pretty birthday card ! The sentiment shows up really pretty !

Patti Willey said...

Pretty embossing from your kit Sonny is over the hill and can't remember your first embossed vellum share lol!

Aileen said...

Great card, I love the embossing. I have seen it before on the internet and reckon it look fantastic. You card looks so pretty.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you Sonny, this technique is quite simple, all you do is trace the design and then go with the stylus in the back, pressing lightly to achieve the white color. Vellum turns white when pressure is applied.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you Patti, now that you mentioned, I recall that other card I made a long time ago.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you Aileen, when I saw a card on Pinterest, I immediately got intrigued and I just had to try it, it's not difficult at all, maybe the ''difficult'' aspect of it is the tracing with the white gel pen, sometimes I go crooked. But you can also stamp your image with white craft ink and then carefully heat emboss it with clear embossing powder and then, turn it around and do the dry embossing with the stylus.

Brian King said...

So beautiful, Maria! I love your treatment on this vellum - so soft and sweet.

Sazzle Dazzle said...

So striking and elegant! Thanks so much for linking up and playing along at AAA Cards.
Sarah x

Mary Fish said...

I'm in love with that happy birthday font!

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you Brian, I haven't used this technique with Vellum lately but I do love the way it looks.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you Sarah, using Vellum always looks really pretty.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you Mary, I was going to emboss the sentiment from the kit but I was afraid of piercing the Vellum with the smallest stylus, heat embossing it was the solution.

Melissa L. said...

Oh, lovely birthday card, Maria. I really like the colors and the pretty vellum. Thanks for playing along at AAA Cards. Melissa - DT

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you Melissa, this technique is really pretty, I'm still learning, but I love it.

Jodene said...

Beautiful card, and your vellum looks just gorgeous! Thanks for playing along with us at Seize The Birthday :)

Jill V said...

I love vellum too! Your embossing is gorgeous - great idea! Thanks so much for playing along with us at AAA Cards! Jill

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Lovely design and combination of elements. Thanks so much for linking up and playing with us at AAA Cards.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Thank you all for your sweet comments, I appreciate each word!!!!!